SA School Sports



Last updateTue, 04 Dec 2018 12pm

   Join our newsletter here:      


Back You are here: Home Sports Rugby Kwa Zulu Natal David v Goliath! Northwood Beat Glenwood!
Monday, 23 May 2011 09:26

David v Goliath! Northwood Beat Glenwood!

Three seasons ago and Northwood were being hammered by virtually anybody who cared to play them and many were morning the sad demise of one of the great sporting schools of KZN.

david-goliathSome forward thinking under the oversight of Rugby Director Simon Vickers and slowly Northwood began to climb out of the dungeons and lately have been playing some very competitive rugby. But few would have believed it possible for them to be a challenge to the best team in the province let alone beat them. But three years is a long time in school rugby and the stage was set for one of this year’s biggest upsets.


It was 13 years ago since Northwood had last beaten Glenwood and if they were going to do the impossible again they would have to match the huge physical challenge that Glenwood provided.

In a David against Goliath match, Northwood did everything they could to keep themselves in the match and what they lacked in size and power more than made up for it in their passion and hunger to win.

Northwood got the first points on the board with a penalty by the scrummie Raymond Simon and it was quickly matched by a penalty by Glenwood’s Siyabonga Tom which saw the teams going into halftime at 3-3. Northwood could have been way in the lead at this stage if Simon had been a little more accurate with his kicking as several relatively easy shots at goal went a begging.

Still the dream was very much alive as the second half resumed and Northwood dug deep to keep the Green Machine at bay. Attack after attack by Glenwood was thwarted by Northwood’s tenacious defenders who refused to give Glenwood a sniff of a chance. Wade Worthington hammered over a penalty for Northwood to give them the lead again but the three point buffer was quickly erased as Glenwood turned up the heat.

Right winger Craig Geldenhuys got the ball from a well worked move to score Glenwood’s first points of the second half and to lead from the first time in the match 8-6 and it appeared that they were going to avoid the blushes.

Northwood knew that this was there one chance to prove they were able to compete with the best and applied themselves to keeping the ball in hand and give Glenwood few opportunities to run away with the match. Another successful penalty shot by Worthington edged Northwood back into the lead at 9-8 and a tense final 10 minutes unfolded.

Glenwood took the fight to Northwood and kept driving the hosts back into their half and eventually in the dying seconds of the match were awarded a kickable penalty which if successful would almost surely have given Glenwood the victory. However the referee suddenly overturned his decision and awarded the penalty to Northwood who gleefully found touch and the unimaginable had happened. Northwood had beaten Glenwood 9-8 in a match that will be celebrated by the Knights for seasons to come.

It is the second time in four years that Glenwood have lost a match to KZN opposition and it comes at a time when the Green Machine were just beginning to play to their fullest potential. Well done to Northwood who prove that with hard work and dedication great results can be achieved.

Related items