SA School Sports



Last updateTue, 04 Dec 2018 12pm

   Join our newsletter here:      


Back You are here: Home Sports Rugby Kwa Zulu Natal Rugby: Match Report- Glenwood v Michaelhouse
Tuesday, 23 April 2013 09:11

Rugby: Match Report- Glenwood v Michaelhouse

Written by  Sean Erasmus

The Glenwood matches against Michaelhouse were played in torrential down pour and extremely cold conditions. Combine that with a bus drivers strike in Durban and time changes in the fixtures due to weather and you have many confused and nervous boys. The school pulled together and managed to make it work as best as possible. All the teams did well and it was great to see the ball still moving around in the wet weather.


glenvmhouseThe 1st XV game kicked off at 12am and it was freezing cold and wet. Michaelhouse were out the starting blocks early and had some good attacking phases. The Glenwood defence stood strong and the boys put the ultimate effort in at each phase keeping the hosts away from the Glenwood try line. The pressure was absorbed and Glenwood turned it into points with a try from lock Seth van den Heever which Corné Vermaak converted to take a 7-0 lead. A good individual tackle and quick hands gave Captain Wandi Mazibuko the second try of the match extending the lead by 12-0, Vermaak missing the conversion. Michaelhouse struck back with a try of their own but failed to convert 12-5. On the stroke of half time Vermaak slotted a 35m penalty to extend the lead to 15-5.

The team had a great second half with fullback Corné Vermaak scoring an early second half try in the corner that he converted to take the score to 22-5. Pressure and the weather led to Michaelhouse spilling a ball, Van den Heever adding more pressure and a kick through on the ground by Glenwood with a great chase and dive gave Mazibuko his second try of the match. Vermaak from the corner extended the lead with a beautiful conversion, 29-5 in Glenwood's favour. Michaelhouse was awarded a penalty and missed the kick at poles. The next five minutes Glenwood absorbed a multitude of attacks as 7 penalties were awarded and kicked for touch. Michaelhouse trying to maul it over, and then rumble it over was met by waves of great and brave Glenwood defensive lines. The ball was lost by a Michaelhouse attacker and Glenwood launched a 90 metre counter attack resulting in quick left winger Sphamandla Ngcobo's try. Vermaak converted and the score was 36-5. Minutes later the game was over and Glenwood won a physical and wet game by 36-5.

The boys did very well to hold onto a very slippery ball and can be proud of their performance. The team now prepares for the Wildeklawer Super Schools Tournament from the 2nd of May to the 5th of May.

Related items