SA School Sports



Last updateTue, 04 Dec 2018 12pm

   Join our newsletter here:      


Back You are here: Home Sports Rugby Kwa Zulu Natal WBHS v College Rugby Report
Monday, 24 May 2010 16:17

WBHS v College Rugby Report

Last year Westville turned the tables on College by beating the home team 3-0 on their Founders Day, only the second time in College's proud rugby history that this had happened, and it was Westville's turn this weekend to host the Maritzburg team on their very own "Old Boys" day.

The game started off at a frenetic pace with both teams battling for the ascendancy in the opening exchanges. It was Westville who managed to turn their possession into a territorial advantage and spent a large part of the half inside the College 22m area. They were rewarded with a penalty through Duncan Campbell, the flyhalf, to take the lead 3-0. After a sustained period of attack right on the college line, Westville had the visitors defence stretched and it was Duan Coertzen, Westville's hooker, who crossed the line to score only to have the try disallowed by the referee who judged the ball to be held up.

College, not to be outdone by their Highway rivals, picked up their pace and intensity forcing the hosts into mistakes. Knock on's and turnovers put Westville under some unnecessary pressure and gave College the perfect opportunity to get back into the game. With the pressure on and Westville's discipline slipping College converted a penalty to take the score to 3-3.

This seemed to spur the Westville team into overdrive and from the restart they attacked putting College under serious pressure. They managed to secure possession close the visitor's line and kept the point of attack to the breakdown as they slowly inched closer and closer to the try line. Thando Mpungose, Westville's flanker, who picked up the final time and barged his way over the line to score a well structured and disciplined try. The try was converted by Campbell and Westville went into the half with a 10-3 lead.

The physicality of the game was clearly taking its toll on both sides with Westville having to make a change at flyhalf at half time with Campbell leaving the field with a fractured hand. Obviously, this had an effect on the team but Westville were determined not to let this get in the way of their performance.

It was College who scored first in the second half as their forwards rumbled over the line to even up the scores at 10-10. Westville, once again, were not prepared to lie down and immediately put pressure on the College team. After regaining the ascendancy up front, Westville kicked a penalty into the corner, won the lineout and drove the college team over the try line to score. It was Mpungose once again who finished off the powerful maul and although the try went unconverted Westville were in control at 15-10.

Westville then made a mistake from the kickoff and put themselves under unnecessary pressure as College started to play more of the game in the home sides half. They were, again, rewarded for their efforts through a penalty and were closing in on Westville's lead as they took the score to 15-13.

With both side giving everything they had and not giving an inch this game was turning out to be a rugby spectacle. Physical and confrontational was the nature of the game and with only minutes to go it was David Watkeys, Westville's fullback, who intercepted a pass and ran 60m to score a sensational try that the hosts would have thought would have seeled the win. With the score at 20-13, Westville only had to close the game out to secure a memorable win on their Old Boys day but College had different ideas.

Westville, once again, made a poor mistake from kickoff and ended up scrambling for possession on their try line. They managed to secure the ball and started to drive it up only to have the clearance kick charged down and then taken into touch. College had the perfect opportunity to launch the attack. Much like Westville's try earlier in the game, College won their lineout, secured possession and drove Westville over the line. They scored the try and with pressure on their kicker they converted to take the score to 20 all.

The game restarted and with only seconds left on the clock Westville were given a penalty which they chose to kick for poles. After having missed several other opportunities for poles in the second half, the pressure was on the Westville kicker. Unfortunately, it was not to be fairy tale ending for the home team and the game ended at 20-20.

It was a great game of school boy rugby with both teams putting in a massive effort and providing great entertainment for a large crowd on Westville's Old Boys day.