SA School Sports

1976 Kearsney screen 728x90 02 KB



Last updateTue, 04 Dec 2018 12pm

   Join our newsletter here:      


Back You are here: Home Sports Rugby Other Rugby: Kearsney Festival Match Reports - Day 2
Sunday, 21 April 2019 19:10

Rugby: Kearsney Festival Match Reports - Day 2

Easter Rugby Festival: Day 2 Match reports

GLENWOOD – SELBORNE COLLEGE (No result - game abandoned)

The game many were anticipating between Glenwood and Selborne, last played in 2013, was the final game of the second day. Both teams had been victorious in earlier matches, Glenwood snatching a win against EG Jansen in the final seconds, whilstSelborne won comfortably against Noord-Kaap.

An early penalty in the game by Warrick Day put Selborne into a 3-0 lead. JP van Zyl on the wing scored a try a little while later, to increase the lead to 8-0. Lock Cullen Opperman stormed over midway in the half, converted by Day, for Selborne to lead 15-0.

Glenwood then scored a typical Glenwood try, when the ball passed through a number of hands ending with prop Blaine Golden scoring, converted by Jordan Hendrikse. Glenwood were back in the game 7-15 down at halftime.

Shortly after the break in dark conditions, Hendrikse narrowed the gap to 10-15 when he converted a long penalty from close to the touchline.

With lightning in the vicinity and the alarm sounding, the match was sadly suspended, and it was later decided the game should be abandoned.

Point scorers:

Selborne: Tries Van Zyl, Pretorius; Conversion Day; Penalty Day

Glenwood: Try Golden; Conversion Hendrickse; Penalty Hendrickse




After a full day of running rugby and a darkening sky, two jerseys, both navy and yellow, made it difficult for the referee and spectators alike. EG Jansen did have a yellow stripe over the shoulders which helped slightly.

The visitors to KZN went into a 3-0 lead after five minutes when Kyle Potgieter converted a penalty. This was increased five minutes later, when flank Jandre Odendaal showed pace and strength to dot down, but the conversion was inside, leaving EG Jansen 8-0 up.

With DHS defending and EG running with the ball, an intercept by Brian Dosemba led to an 80m dash to score under the poles, which Shakir laDouce converted, bringing the score to 7-8 which remained until the halftime whistle.

Early in the second half, a mistake by the DHS defence saw a pop kick land in the hands of Odendaal who strolled over for his second try, converted by Potgieter, for a 15-7 lead.

EG Jansen eighth-man Franco Enslin beat the defence to score and increase their lead to 20-7.

With DHS’ heads beginning to sag, prop Brandon Pienaar forced his way over, this time converted by Jason Edward, for the Boksburg boys to lead 27-7.

DHS responded when centreMacneil Jenner scored after a move down the left flank to increase their score to 12.

EG Jansen were not finished though, and flyhalf Leshley October dotted down to increase their lead to 32-12. With time up on the clock, Duane Bloem scored the final try, converted by Edwards, for a 39-12 win.

Point scorers:

EG Jansen: Tries Odendaal (2), Enslin, Pienaar, October, Bloem; Conversions Potgieter, Edwards (2); Penalty Potgieter

DHS: Tries Dosember, Jenner; Conversion La Douce




A low-scoring first half between HTS Drostdy and Welkom Gim saw the boys from Worcester 9-5 in the lead after three penalties by Carlton Pietersen. It was a try by hooker MartleyBayman that gave Welkom their points.

The second half began with a second try by Bayman, his third of the festival, to put Welkom in front again. Wing Angelo Olivier showed good pace in rounding the cover defence to score again for Welkom, this time converted by fullback Marchall Andrews, to increase the lead to 17-9.

Drostdy came right back when centre Zach le Roux got over in the corner, converted by Pietersen, to narrow the deficit to one point 16-17.

Welkom managed to move the ball rapidly to the left, finding fullback Andrews and he beat the defenceto score in the corner. Flank Macneil Matthews took over the kicking duties from Andrews and showed good skill converting from the touchline, giving his team a cushion and a 24-16 lead.

With three minutes remaining, Welkom centre Keith van Aswegen beat the defenders with good pace to increase the lead to 29-16. A final penalty by Andrews completed a 32-16 win by Welkom.

Point scorers:

Drostdy: Try Le Roux; Conversion Pietersen; Penalties Pietersen (3)

Welkom: Tries Andrews, Van Aswegen, Olivier, Bayman (2); Conversion Andrews; Penalties Andrews, Matthews




The third match of the day saw hosts Kearsney College taking on HoërskoolFramesby, a well-conditioned unit from Port Elizabeth.

Framesby opened the score with a try by eighth-man Ruan Claassen, converted by Juandre Liebenberg, for a 7-point lead after two minutes.

Kearsney came back with atry from a penalty close to the try-line, when fullback Derick Marshall burst over and, with the successful conversion by Cade Carmichael, the scores were level 7-7.

With Framesby winning the lion’s share of the ball, two further tries were scored, the first by flank Christo Grobler and the second by fullback Sebastian Brandt. This time Liebenberg converted to give Framesby a 19-7 lead, which they held until the break.

Early in the second half hooker William Moffat ran 30m after forwards had dominated, to score under the uprights. Liebenberg converted once again forFramesbyto lead 26-7.

With 10 minutes remaining Kearsneyfullback Marshall broke through a number of tackles and, from a subsequent ruck, the ball went to centre Luke Wilson who sniped through, scoring under the crossbar. Jordan Bamber converted and Kearsney had narrowed the gap to 14-26.

In an entertaining finish Kearsney kept the pressure on Framesby and centre Connor de Bruyn scored, converted by Bamber, to bring their points to 21-26.

Point scorers:

Framesby: TriesBrandt, Claassen, Grobler, Moffat; Conversions Liebenberg (3)

Kearsney: Tries Wilson, Marshall, De Bruyn; Conversions Carmichael, Bamber (2)



In contrast to the earlier game, the second game of Day 2 between HoerskoolTransvalia and Pretoria Boys High saw few points in the first half.At the break it was Transvalia leading 5-3.

Pretoria were the first to score with a penalty by Jaden Collaros. Transvalia’s scrumhalf Dewald Stooplead. Both teams came close to scoring again but mistakes in the final pass prevented any further points.

The scores were levelled midway through the second half when Transvalia’swing Dian de Villiers picked up a difficult pass to dive over. With just 10 minutes remaining, prop Wandile Madodonke barged over from a lineout and again the conversion was wide, but Pretoria Boys led 15-10.

Boys High sealed the game when Collaros went over under the poles as he added the extra points to lead 22-10 with minutes remaining.

In the final move of the game after concerted pressure in the red zone, Transvalia’s prop Willem Coertzen barged over, converted by fullback Lee-Andrew du Preez, to bring Transvalia to within five points of Boys High.

The second half was more entertaining but Boys High used their chances better for the 22-17 win.

Point scorers:

Pretoria Boys: Tries Caldwell, Madodonke, Collaros; Conversions Collaros (2); Penalty Collaros

Transvalia: Tries Stoop, De Villiers, Coertzen; Conversions Du Preez (2)



In the first match on the second day of the Standard Bank Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival,played in glorious autumn sunshine between HoërskoolNoord-Kaap and HTS Middelburg, both teams were keen to get their first win at the festival.

Noord-Kaap held a slender three-point lead at halftime, although they looked the more dangerous with ball in hand. Wing Jacquin van Wyk opened the scoring after just five minutes, when he used his pace to round the defense scoring near the touchline. A great conversion by captain and fullback Elzandro Fredericks put them into a 7-0 lead.

This was held for most of the half until Middelburg capitalized on a handling mistake by Noord-Kaap. The ball passed through a few players before wing Quintino October scored under the uprights, giving Justin Botha an easy two pointer and narrowing the gap to 7-10.

An entertaining second half saw a resurgent Middelburg come back and, with five tries scored in the second half, the appreciative crowd became increasingly vocal. Play swung from touch-line to touch-line with both sides giving their best.

Alec Vermaak scored and converted to put Middelburg 14-10 in front. Bradley Human replied for Noord-Kaap scoring wide out, changing the lead to 15-14.

JP Esterhuysen put HTS back in front with a good hard running try, converted by Vermaak, to make it 21-15.

Noord-Kaap did not stop trying and came back with a try by hooker Devin Steenkamp, converted by S Daniels, to end the exciting game 27-21 ahead.

Point scorers:

Noord-Kaap: Tries Van Wyk, Steenkamp, Human (2); Conversions: Fredericks, Daniels; Penalty: Fredericks

HTS Middelburg: Tries October, Vermaak, Esterhuysen; Conversions: Botha (2), Vermaak



MONDAY: 08h30 Highbury v U13 KZN Ibutho; 09h30 Hoërskool Noord-Kaap v EG Jansen; 10h45 HTS Middelburg v Pretoria Boys; 12h00 Selborne v HoërskoolFramesby; 13h15 DHS v HTS Drostdy; 14h30 Glenwood v HoërskoolTransvalia; 15h45 Kearsney v Welkom Gimnasium




Related items