SA School Sports

1976 Kearsney screen 728x90 02 KB



Last updateTue, 04 Dec 2018 12pm

   Join our newsletter here:      


Back You are here: Home Sports Rugby Other Rugby: Kearsney Festival Match Reports - Day 3
Tuesday, 23 April 2019 09:18

Rugby: Kearsney Festival Match Reports - Day 3

Match Reports- Day 3



The final game of the 12th Standard Bank Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival was between hosts Kearsney College and Welkom Gim. Conditions were not good which perhaps did Kearsney a favour. That Welkom scored just two tries compared with the eight scored in their first two games, illustrates the point.

Kearsney opened the scoring with an early penalty by Jordan Bamber. Welkom Gimbacks could not use their normal running style, so knock-ons and losing their footing enabled Kearsney to stay competitive.

Lock Christo Steyn managed to force his way over for Welkom’s opening try which was converted by Marchall Andrews for the Free State side to lead 7-3. The rest of the half saw Welkom coming close, but they could not add to their tally, leaving the halftime score 7-3.

With conditions darkening, and thick mist coming in again, the rugby was a forwards game. Kearsney stood up and eighthman Massimo Fierro opened the scoring in the second half, going over in a flurry of bodies in the corner. This put the hosts 8-7 in front with 20 minutes remaining.

Welkom were awarded a penalty and Andrews added the three points to put his side into a 10-8 lead; with the mist making it difficult to see across the field at this stage. This lead was increased when Andrews converted his second penalty and Welkom led 13-8 with 13 minutes remaining.

A try was scored in the far corner by Welkom wingMorneMaastriet, which increased the lead to 18-8. Andrews was deadly with his boot even in these conditions and he added his third penalty to lead 21-8.

Kearsney pressed for the last few minutes but could not get over the line, leaving Welkom deserved winners by 21-8.

Point scorers:

Welkom: Tries Steyn, Maastriet; Conversion: Andrews; Penalties: Andrews (3)

Kearsney: Try Fierro; Penalty: Bamber




With rain falling steadily, the conditions were not conducive to running rugby and yet Glenwood’s handling was only slightly affected. Mistakes in the wet by visitors Transvalia cost them points as the Glenwood boys were quick to counter attack. This led to tries against the run of play.

Transvalia scored in the first five minutes following a maul, with hooker Bernard du Plessis breaking from the back to dive over, for a converted try by Shaun Christie for the early 7-0 lead.

A penalty by Jordan Hendrickse made it 3-7. Glenwood, more adept in the wet, scored their first try when centre Martino van Wyk broke through, again converted by Hendrickse, for Glenwood to lead 10-7.

A kick ahead, a gather and wing Carlo Cloete sped away from the defence to score in the corner. AgainHendrikse split the upright from the touchline conversion for a 17-7 lead. Two further converted tries, first by flank Ethan Smit and the second by hooker Sikholisa Nanto, saw Glenwood into a comfortable 31-7 lead at the break.

When play restarted, the mist was billowing in and conditions worsened. The rugby however continued to enthrall, with good running and good defence. Glenwood scored again through fullback Steven Gibb, and with the conversion, Glenwood led 38-7, which became the final score of the match.


Glenwood: Tries: Smit, Cloete, Van Wyk, Nonto, Gibb; Conversions Hendrikse (5); Penalty Hendrikse

Drostdy: Try Du Plessis; Conversion Christie



The first of the KZN sides to play today, DHS played against HTS Drostdy from the Western Cape. The latter had won their first game against Middelburg, but lost their second match against Welkom Gim. DHS were looking for their first victory, having lost to Transvalia and EG Jansen.

Drostdy opened the scoring with a penalty by flyhalf Carlton Pietersen after just five minutes. DHS scrumhalf Jayden Cederos chipped ahead for Sim Ngcobo to dot down ahead of the defence, to take a 7-3 lead after a successful conversion by Ngobani Dlamini. Drostdy’s Pietersen converted his second penalty to narrow the gap to one point.

Centre Roann Jansen picked up the ball after a kick ahead to score under the poles and with Pietersen converting the lead changed toDrostdy 13-7 ahead.

Shortly thereafter Brian Dosemba went over in a flurry of bodies to narrow the gap to 12-13 and then a break by Pietersen fed fullback Keane Galant who scored leaving an easy conversion for Pietersen to make the half-time score 20-12 to Drostdy.

DHS were the first to score in the second half when Kaid O’Neill scored for DHS, converted by Ngobani Dlamini to again make it a one-point game 19-20.

The Cape boys increased their lead when flank Wynand du Plessis scored again, converted by Pietersen, for a 27-19 lead. Rain started falling, which made handling more difficult. Both teams came close to scoring again, but the board remained 27-19 to Drostdy, giving them their second win at the festival.

Point scorers:

DHS: Tries Dosember, O’Neill, Ngcobo; Conversions Dlamini (2)

Drostdy: Tries Jansen, Du Plessis, Galant; Conversions Pietersen (3); Penalties Pietersen (2)




The third match on the final day was a much-anticipated game between two Eastern Cape powerhouse teams, Selborne College and HoerskoolFramesby. The two evenly matched teams spent most of the first half playing in midfield, with defensive patterns preventing either side from getting near the try-line.

The first points came after 20 minutes when Warrick Day converted a penalty for Selborne to lead 3-0. Five minutes later, SelbornecentreMtunsaMaponsela broke through the defence to score under the crossbar, converted by Day, for Selborne to lead 10-0 at the break.

The second half livened up after coaches had had their say at halftime and it was Framesby prop Luhan Fourie who went over. The reliable boot of Jaundre Liebenberg added the extra points to narrow the lead to three points.

Selborne’s Day converted his second penalty for Selborne to lead 13-7. Framesby came close to scoring but Selborne’sdefences held.

A clever kick through the advancing defence saw wing Lawula Bata touch down just ahead of the Framesbydefence. Day converted for the East Londoners to lead 20-7.In the final move of the game Fourie scored his second try for Framesby, well converted from the touchline by Liebenberg.

The game was won by Selborne 20-14 for their second festival win, after their Saturday fixture against Glenwood was abandoned due to lightning.


Selborne: Tries Maponsela, Bata; Conversions Day (2); Penalties Day (2)

Framesby: Tries Fourie (2); Conversions Liebenberg (2)




Pretoria Boys High were looking for their third win at the festival when they came up against HTS Middelburg, hungry for their first win.It was Middelburg who made the best of their chances to take a 19-8 lead at the break. Pretoria had a number of chances, but a mistake in the last move prevented more than one try from them.

Flank JandreKleyn opened the scoring with a try for HTS; and this was followed by Jaden Collaros converting a penalty. Impressive wing Quintino October then scored the first of his two tries, for Middelburg to go into a 12-3 lead.

Pretoria had some sustained pressure in the red zone with wing Bradley Mayekiso diving over to reduce the lead to 8-12. Pretoria Boys could rue the chances that they let slip and it was October, scoring his second try of the match, this time converted by Alec Vermaak, for HTS to lead 19-8 going into the break.

Some good handling led to HTS opening the scoring in the second half, when centre Christiaan Vlok scored, converted by Vermaak, to increase the lead to 26-8.

This seemed to wake up the Pretoria forwards and they were rewarded when centre Mikhail Edwards held on to the ball, broke through a tackle and ran 30m to score. Midway through the half, Edwards was again on hand to score his second try, this time converted by Justin Cross, to narrow the gap to 20-26. Two penalties converted by Vermaak increased the HTS lead to 32-20.

Boys High came back with Edwards scoring his hat-trick under the poles for an easy conversion by Cross to give them hope at 27-32. It was not to be; after another great game with plenty of movement ended with HTS Middelburg getting their first win of the festival in an exciting finish.

Point scorers:

HTS Middelburg: Tries October (2), Vlok, Kleyn; Conversions Vermaak (3); Penalties Vermaak (2)

Pretoria Boys High: Tries Mayekiso, Edwards (3); Conversions Cross (2); Penalty Collaros




After heavy rain over the past 24 hours, damp overcast conditions met the players from Noord-Kaap and Dr EG Jansen when they ran out for today’s first game, but the Stott field was firm underfoot. Both teams were looking for a second victory after they had each lost their first game and won their second.

EG Jansen were more effective when they kept the game tight, because Noord-Kaap backline always looked dangerous on attack, as long as their forwards gave them good ball.

The first try came 12 minutes into the game when Jansen set up a maul, rumbling 15m forward and their hooker Kyle Pepler went over, converted by Kyle Potgieter, for a 7-0 lead. Noord-KaapcentreKeanoWindvogel broke the defensive line, passing to his captain and fullback Elzandro Fredericks who scored out wide, narrowing the gap to 5-7.

EG Jansen again did what they do best, another maul, another try, again by hooker Pepler, and again converted by Potgieter, to increase the lead to 14-5.

Noord-Kaap hit back, moving the ball amongst the backs. Wing Jacquin van Wyk sliced through the defence to score, thereby reducing the deficit to 12-14, after a successful conversion by Corne du Plessis.

Just before half-time there was another break, ending with wing MoemagareMolete scoring in the corner for Noord-Kaap to lead at the break.

The second half was only minutes old when Molete scored his second try to take the lead to 24-14 with the conversion by Du Plessis.

EG Jansen replacement flyhalf Keagan Balfour broke the defence to score, converted by Potgieter, to make it a three-point game 21-24 for the final 10 minutes.

In the final seconds, EG Jansen looked as though they may have won, but the ball was dropped on the line by their wing, giving Noord-Kaap the victory in a highly entertaining game.

Point scorers:

Hoerskool Noord-Kaap: Tries Fredericks, Van Wyk, Molete (2); Conversions Du Plessis (2)

Dr EG Jansen: TriesPepler (2), Balfour; Conversions Potgieter (3)

The final day of the Standard Bank Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival opened with a primary school’s game, as had the first two days. The U13 KZN Development team had drawn their game with Umhlali Prep and beat Hillcrest Primary School on the first two mornings. Today Highbury Prep appeared to be in a position to win when they were 20-7 at the break, but the Development team came back to win comfortably, Highbury unable to score in the second half.

For photos, updated results and live-streaming links of every game go to


For information contact SUE MILES


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.



Related items